I literally make this once a week – #meatlessmonday ! It’s a staple in our household. This recipe is quick and simple, with oh so little prep. Leaving you more time to spend doing the things you love, whether that be hanging out with the family, getting a fitness class in at SMART Training Gym Dundrum, or just taking time to yourself. Nothing better than a rich tomato sauce, roasted red peppers and deliciously soft gooey baked eggs. Full disclosure, when pressed for time or simply uninterested in cooking, I swap out the spices, garlic and chopped tomatoes for a jar or Aldi Sun dried Tomato Sauce. This recipe works with any pre made tomoto sauce so if you are wondering what you are going to make for dinner with just a jar or tomato sauce and some eggs….here’s your go to!
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 Large Onion (finely chopped)
- 2 Red Peppers (seeded and thinly sliced)
- 2 Garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1 Tbsp of smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp of cajun spice
- 400g Chopped tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp of Cumin
- 1 Tbsp of tomato puree
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Feta cheese to personal preference
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C.
- Heat a pan (preferably an oven proof pan) with some oil at a medium heat. Add the onions and the peppers and cook until soft.
- Add the spices and cook for another few minutes. Stir in the tomatoes (jar or chopped tomatoes from a can). Season with salt and pepper to taste and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- If needs, transfer to an oven proof tin, and make 4 small wells with the back of your wooden spoon. Break the eggs into the wells and sprinkle with crumbled Feta.
- Place the dish in the oven until the eggs are just set (10 minutes).
- Serve with crusty toasted bread or a salad.